Nespresso has marked the start of the construction of the expansion of its production centre in Romont, Switzerland. The laying of the first stone of the second production hall took place in the presence of representatives of the canton of Fribourg, the district of Glâne and the municipality of Romont, and in a restricted committee due to COVID measures.
The CHF 160 million ($174 million) construction of this second production hall will allow doubling the production capacity with 10 new lines dedicated to Nespresso Vertuo and Professional coffee ranges and the creation of 300 new jobs by 2030. The first new production lines are expected to be fully operational by June 2022.
The recruitment for the new site has already begun and over 100 people will be hired by the end of this year.
All those involved can be proud of this great adventure – Guillaume Le Cunff, CEO of Nespresso.
The Romont factory, inaugurated in 2015, is the centre of excellence for the production of Nespresso’s Vertuo coffees now available in 24 countries across North America, Europe and Asia. In the last two years, Nespresso strengthened its operations in Romont with the addition of 4 new production lines and the creation of 50 new jobs, while inaugurating a new Product Development Center and a Coffee Campus in 2018, fostering coffee innovation and expertise.
A POSITIVE IMPACT ON THE LOCAL ECONOMY
All Nespresso coffees distributed worldwide are produced in Switzerland. Over the past 10 years, Nespresso has invested CHF 700 million in its three Swiss-based production centres in the cantons of Vaud and Fribourg, where sustainably grown coffee beans are transformed into the highest quality coffees through the know-how and passion of more than 1’300 skilled factory employees.
THE FIRST LEED® GOLD CERTIFIED PRODUCTION CENTER IN SWITZERLAND
Nespresso is committed to its sustainability ambition, that every cup of Nespresso coffee has a positive impact on the world. All three Nespresso production centres are ‘zero waste to landfill’ and production processes have been optimized to ensure heat and water are recovered and reused whenever possible. In the existing facility in Romont, the heat from the coffee roasters is recovered and used to pre-heat the green coffee and the factory itself. Any excess heat is redistributed to the local community. Romont was the first production centre in Switzerland, and thus the first factory for Nestlé in Switzerland as well, to achieve the LEED® Gold certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) in 2015. The new production hall will be built based on the same LEED® principles that have guided the construction of the Romont production centre back in 2015.
This certification not only covers the energy and water-efficiency of an industrial building, but it also weighs aspects such as employees’ health and wellbeing at the workplace and infrastructure for environmentally-friendly mobility. Some examples of the various initiatives carried out by Nespresso to meet the LEED® requirements include the use of 20% recycled construction materials and an 18% decrease of the site’s energy consumption thanks to heat recovery from the roasters, triple glazing and the use of LED lighting. The LEED® certification extends Nespresso’s sustainability commitments and forms part of its global sustainability strategy, The Positive Cup.
Facts and figures about the Nespresso Production Center in Romont
- Third Nespresso production centre in Switzerland (2015), after Orbe (2002) and Avenches (2008) – worldwide production in Switzerland
- Total investment in infrastructures and operations (since creation): CHF 445 million
- Total investment in production facilities in Switzerland since 2010: CHF 700 million
- Total site area: 11 hectares (15 football fields)
- New production hall surface area: 1 hectare or 10’000m2 (1.5 football fields) for filling and packing lines, roasting and logistics
- Construction duration: 1 year
- Current number of Nespresso employees on the site: more than 380
- Production of Vertuo and Professional coffees
- Vertuo is a versatile system that makes freshly brewed coffee in 5 different cup sizes using the innovative Centrifusion™ technology that recognizes the bar code on the capsule and adjusts the amount of water, speed of extraction and temperature to deliver a perfect cup of coffee.
- First LEED® Gold certified production centre in Switzerland, first Nestlé LEED® certified production centre in Switzerland